Saturday, February 9, 2013

"What'll I Do?"

12 days before my 15th birthday my grandmother died and I canceled my birthday plans. Two days before my birthday I opened the newspaper, and read an article about how the Sacramento Ballet had recently purchased the production - costumes, sets, props - that belong to the ballet adaptation of Romeo And Juliet. Opening night - February 10th, tickets starting at $15.00. I have always loved ballet, but have seen very little, and my mom decided that for my birthday I should go to opening night, with one of my best friends, Rebekah. We went. We loved it. The next year we found that they were going to do Cinderella, and once again I called Rebekah. But this year we would go on the 11th - the day after my birthday, because this year I was turning 16 and so must  have a party. We went and, once again, we loved it. And then, two nights ago we went again this year for my 17th birthday. And this year they were performing one of my all time favorite pieces of literature. The Great Gatsby. They did a fantastic job! I teared up at the beginning, because they were doing such a good job, and then at the end I truly cried. Despite the fact that Rebekah was shaking with suppressed laughter in the seat next to me, because for what ever reason they decided that the swim suit Gatsby wore at the end should be skin tight and white, so it was a little difficult to tell at first that he was wearing anything at all. The song below was featured three times, once at the beginning when Gatsby danced to it alone, once in the middle with Daisy dancing with him and once at the end...when I cried. Like a baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment