Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Maine

My favorite children's book of all time has to be Miss Rumphius 


It's the story of a young girl who has three dreams. She wants to travel all over the world, live by the sea and do something to make the world more beautiful. She ends up doing them all. She travels the world, settles in a little town on the coast of Maine and eventually she spreads lupine seeds all over her tiny village so that the next spring there are beautiful flowers everywhere.

I have been feeling very discouraged the last few weeks. I feel like my dreams - going to college, traveling all over the world and becoming an interior decorator - are out of my reach, for the simple reason that college and travel both cost money - a lot of money - and I can't become an interior decorator until I've gone to college and learned how. Now "a lot of money" is pretty vague and I think that that is what has been frightening me. But last Saturday I woke up with an idea. I'm not sure where it came from but I think it had to do with Miss Rumphius, because the idea was this.

Get a job, save 2,000 dollars (or more, depending) and sometime next year get on a flight to Boston, take a train North to Maine and head up the coast. I'll stop when I find a place I like and stay there for about two weeks. 

2,000 dollars. It's a lot of money but it's a finite amount. I can do it. 

I spent about three hours today going every where I could think of, getting applications for jobs in all sorts of places. Places where I don't really want to work for very long, but places that would regularly send me a paycheck, so that eventually I could save that $2,000, buy a plane ticket and go to Maine.

I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment