Sunday, February 22, 2015

I've been to Paris

I've been in France for about a week and a half now and I'm very sorry I haven't updated here. For those of you who don't know here's the skinny; I'm living in France for 18 months working as an au pair in a small town called Parmain that is about an hour long train ride outside Paris. I love Parmain, it's incredibly beautiful and I love the family I work for. The three little girls I help take care of are very sweet and they actually like me which makes it a lot easier to like them. Their mom Sophie is a stay at home mom and she is one of the nicest people I've ever met. I'm happy to call her my first friend in France. I get one day off a week and I chose Sundays so that I can go into Paris for church, so yesterday that was my plan. First church, then explore, then meet up with a friend in a town called Massy. Turns out however, I'm not that good at planning. I slept through my alarm and so missed the early train that was going to give me time to get lost looking for the church. I got to Paris in time for the 10:30 service, but the "getting lost" part of the plan was  about the only part I stuck to. I met a very nice elderly Perisian couple who were on their way to their own church service; they walked me part of the way and then pointed me in the right direction. But I managed to get lost again and eventually I realized that I'd missed pretty much the whole service anyway so there was little point searching further. Next week I'm going to get better directions. But I walked by the Seine for a little while before crossing and walking under the Eiffel Tower. It was a little sureal to actually be there.




There's a beautiful carousel nearby. 



I wandered a little in the 7th arrondismont  before getting hungry. For lunch I bought an apple from a market and a baguette from a boucherie (bakery) and found a quiet park where I could eat and write post cards. 


The baguette was warm and crunchy, the apple was crisp and the lunch was perfect. I wandered some more, exploring the streets of Paris. I think I was near Montmartre but I'm not entirely sure. I stopped at a cafe for a cafe au lait and it was amazing! There is nothing better than a cup of hot coffee when you are absolutely frozen 'cause it turns out that Paris is very cold. 


It also turns out that Elsa and I are actually meeting in Massy next week not this one. I didn't remember that until I got home, exhausted, having wasted about 2 hours between the train ride to Massy the waiting at the meeting place and then the train ride back. Fortunately I had a day pass for the train so it wasn't a waste of money which is a relief 'cause I kind of ran out. Only because I didn't take much with me though, which is good. Plus it made me feel very un-touristy. Wandering the streets of Paris, looking longingly in the windows of cafes and restaurants where I can't afford to eat and then getting on a train - utterly exhausted, and going home. Cold, hungry, tired. And absolutely happy. Because I've been to Paris. 


No comments:

Post a Comment