Thursday, August 1, 2013

A lovely day

My dad and brother left this morning to go camping. I had coffee with a friend and when I got home I found my mum watching Foyle's War one of my favorite TV shows - it's about a detective named Christopher Foyle and his life through WWII. It's based in England - in a coastal town called Hastings that I now want to visit. His son is in the RAF and he is one of the best detectives on the south coast. He's really wonderful. We spent pretty much the whole day watching that. We finished the whole thing up actually - we'd been watching for a while we didn't watch all six seasons in one sitting. Then I went and got us both take out from Panda Express and we watched a movie called The Inheritance. It's probably one of my all time favorites. It's admittedly rather cheesy...ok quite cheesy, but it's wonderful! The father in it is one of my favorite characters from any movie ever, he's so funny and kind. And the love interest - James Percy (see what I meant about cheesy? Oh well) is a really wonderful man. It's based off of a book with the same title but - and it is highly unlikely that you will ever read these words on this blog again - the movie is so much better than the book. Louisa May Alcott wrote the book when she was either 18 or 16 - I don't remember which - and you can definitely tell it was written by an overly romantic teen-age girl. The father is not in it. It's set in mid evil times. The love interest's name is Walter Percy =/ and the whole thing is rather ridiculous and quite unbelievable. The movie changes the time period to Alcott's own time, tones the characters down a bit and adds a few things that only a really good movie can add. Great acting, wonderful music and beautiful cinematography. It's not perfect and there are several tear jerking scenes but I would definitely recommend it as a delightful way to spend an evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment