Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Wouldn't it be lovely if...


I could spend my days like this?

Except of course when I was riding my beautiful horse that is.


If I could dance like this 

 And people sent me flowers like this

or even better, like these.

If I owned a boat like these,

And dresses like these.




 And a big cozy sweater like this one

and awesome boots like these. 

If I had shoes and mad skills like these

and hair this color

 and a room like this

in this house

on this canal.

But I don't. And I'm happy. Do you know why? Because all these things can be bought. All of them. I could dye my hair. Or buy a meadow and a blue VW beetle. What I have here in my own home can not be bought. I am surrounded by a wonderful family who drive me gloriously mad. My house is not perfect but it is filled with memories. Cracked and broken memories some of them. Of cracked and broken people. Memories of fights and tears and pain. But oh so many more memories of laughter. And love. Dancing and singing. Pumpkin pies with Daddy for Thanksgiving. Long talks with Mum about everything and nothing. Living and laughing and loving with my brothers and sister. These are things that can never be bought. And that is why, even though it would be lovely to have all this stuff, that's all it is. Stuff. And in the end it will be gone. 

Matthew 6:19-21 says "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves doth not break through nor steal.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."



1 comment: