Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I now officially work in a bookstore.

I wanted to post a video of a specific scene, but I can't find it so I'll have to just tell you about it. One of my family and my favorite movies is You've Got Mail with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. Meg Ryan plays a young woman named Kathleen Kelly who owns a childrens book store called The Shop Around The Corner. Tom Hanks plays Jo Fox whose massive chain Fox Books comes into the neighborhood and threatens the life of The Shop Around The Corner. No spoilers but there is a scene near the end of the movie where Kathleen finally gives in and goes into Fox Books and up to the children's section. While she is there a woman comes in asking the clerk "do you have the shoe books?" of course the typical Chain Store Employee has no idea what she is talking about. And of course Kathleen knows all about them. She suggests beginning with Ballet Shoes "It's my favorite. Although Skating Shoes is perfectly wonderful too." She tells the Chain Store Employee how to spell the author's name "Noel Streatfeild." and the scene ends. I have since read Ballet Shoes - although none of the others sadly, and it is indeed perfectly wonderful.

One week ago today I worked my first day at the locally owned bookstore Face In A Book. And last Saturday a woman came in and asked "do you have the shoe books?" I don't think I've ever smiled so hard in my life. I of course am not the typical Chain Store Employee and so lead her straight to them. As she left I thought to myself "I now officially work in a bookstore."

No comments:

Post a Comment