Sunday, December 14, 2014

Slough of Despond vrs. Rose Colored Glasses

For the past month or so I've been planning and praying and scrambling after a dream that suddenly seems a little less iridescent, a little more substantial. 

Paris. 

Ever since I can remember I have wanted to go to Paris. France in general really, but specifically Paris and this semester I've realized that a traditional four years at college isn't really what I want to do. It's so much time and so much money, more really of both than I need to spend to become what I want to be - an interior decorator. So I'm going to be using some of my college savings - time as well as money to go to Paris in January. I'll be working as an au pair or nanny/English teacher while I'm there. 

My mom has been blogging for a long time now and she has introduced me to several of the blogs that she reads, including one called Tongue in Cheek. Tongue in Cheek is written by a woman named Corey who lives in the south of France. I've been reading her blog off and on since I was about 13 years old and I've always loved it. She is a wonderful writer, and an unbelievable photographer and she lives in such a wonderfully cool place, I've always found it intrancing. Two days ago I emailed her, with great trepidation. I'd read her blog so long she'd become this unreal character in my head. Someone who I loved rather the way that Julie in Julie and Julia loved Julia. I really wasn't sure it was the real Corey who I loved. But today when I checked my email I found that she had responded. And not only did she accept my invitation to join me for a cup of hot chocolate (she doesn't like coffee either! Or at least she didn't a few years ago when she wrote a blog post about it) she invited me to come STAY WITH HER FOR A WEEKEND! Never in a hundred years would I have been so presumptuous as to ask for such an invitation, but she offered it! All on her own, I didn't even hint at it.

When my dreams come so close to fruition as this one has, I tend to get pessimistic. I sink into the Slough of Despond. Things like this don't happen to me. They don't happen in real life. I won't get to go to Paris. I've wanted to for far to long for it to actually happen! No way. But then things like this happen and my rose colored glasses go right back on the bridge of my nose. My confidence comes back and I am once again confident that it will work

So here's hoping for Paris within a month!

And another win for the Rose Colored Glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment